sexta-feira, 26 de junho de 2015

Scented Snippets: Sebastiane Espresso Royale/Java Jive


Robert Elder is a self-taught independent perfumer from Altoona, Pennsylvania who recently sent me samples of his perfumes [which are available on Indie Scents]. Sebastian is his marvelous dog, and the inspiration behind the name Sebastiane.
Sebastian, sleeping
Robert was a collector of perfumes for many years; over time, he felt them to possess a certain sameness in structure, and eventually became bored with them, thus deciding to create his own.
“I call these structured (cake mixes put together with basic instructions).”
He inquired whether I only liked classically composed perfumes—to which I responded categorically: No. I like any number, any genre of perfumes which sing to me, tell me tales, enlighten, instruct, etc.

I sniffed them all [there are five], and felt that his Espresso Royale might be of particular interest to you, dear readers. While I find that reviews of his perfumes tend to be diametrically opposed , Espresso Royale is one that most of us can agree upon. It's true, through and through: strong, hot, and just sweet enough to make your mouth water. Even if you're not a gourmand lover.
Espresso Royale is easy to love and a joy to wear.
It has longevity likened to an elephant's memory: a little spritz will cling lovingly and give all the pleasure of a fine cup with none of the accompanying buzz.
If you look at the list of notes, fear can easily creep up on you: Hazelnut? Caramel? Oh, my aching teeth ... except, not. Espresso holds pride of place, with that lovely bitterness which is so characteristic.
Notes: rum, hazelnut, caramel, espresso coffee blend, tonka bean
Alongside, caramel smells as burnt as the beautiful brown liquid surrounding flan tastes. Tonka is both softly leathery and faintly almondlike, more reminiscent of toasted almond in this perfume. Rum is boozy but not overwhelmingly so; it's here to kick off the kaffeeklatsch.
The final result is a harmonious gourmand-amer which possesses enough complexity to be intriguing and zero cloy factor.

I'm very fond of Espresso Royale and now I understand what all the buzz is about.
[Forgive me, for I have punned. It's been 40+ years since my last confession. ;-) ]

Do give this one a try; it feels right for all the right reasons, and blooms in the heat as well as the chill.
Images courtesy of Robert Elder/Sebastiane


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

COMENTE O QUE VOCÊ ACHOU DA NOSSA MATÉRIA!