quinta-feira, 25 de junho de 2015

Don Algodón by Don Algodón (1985)


This is another in a series of bargain fragrance reviews, scents that may be found online or at discount stores for US $25 or less. Leave a comment below for your chance to receive a sample, shipped anywhere in the world, free!
Summary: An inexpensive alternative to the now obscure Eau de Givenchy, Puig’s breezy, white floral from its Don Algodón (Sir Cotton) brand, has started popping up on Ebay and discount sites around the world.
Perfumer: N/A, please tell us in a comment below if you know.
Try this if you like: Floral eau de colognes, green accents, jasmine and white musk; lily of the valley and airy tuberose.
Pros & Cons: Though not quite a carbon copy, this perfectly fits the bill as a replacement for my Eau de Givenchy at a bargain price; even the bottle (though not much to look at) recalls Eau de Givenchy’s original royal blue colors. An obscure line most folks have never heard of, the original Don Algodón EDT is actually rather well-known in Spain and considered by many to be a youthful 80s fragrance rather than a designer perfume. The longevity for an EDT, also similar to Eau de Givenchy, is a bit fleeting.
Notes: “Top notes: bergamot, mandarin and lemon. Heart: jasmine, tuberose, lily of the valley. Base: amber, cedar, vetiver and musk.”—Fragrantica.com
Designer’s Description:“Fraganciapara la mujertierna y romántica, y muyfemenina. ¡Cúbrete con suesencia floral y fresca! Aportaunestilopropio: Tienesalgo, Tienes Don. Salidacítrica de mandarina, bergamota y limón; corazón de floresblancas a base de jazmín, nardo, lilas y muguet, y fondo de madera (cedro, vetiver), almizcle y ámbar.
A fragrance for the tender and romantic woman, and very feminine. Dress yourself with its floral and fresh scent! It brings a unique style: You’ve got something special, you have Don. Don Algodón opens with citric mandarin, bergamot and lemon; there is a heart of white flowers including jasmine and tuberose, along with violet and lily of the valley, and a background of woods (cedar, vetiver), musk and amber.”—Bodybell.com
Number of times tested: 10 times over the last 2 months.
Number of sprays applied for this review: Two sprays to the back of my hand from a 200 ml bottle I purchased online (ca. 2015).
Fragrance strength: EDT
Development: (Linear / Average / Complex): I can’t say that Don Algodón develops much; the citrus top notes quickly relax during its first hour and I really don’t perceive any of the woods or amber in the base notes.
Longevity: (Short / Average / Long-lasting) I find that Don Algodón only lasts about 2-3 hours, leaving behind a subtle floral musk.
Sillage: (A Little / Average / A Lot) I find this rather bold in its first 30-45 minutes and then a skin scent therafter; very office safe and great for hot weather.
Note about the packaging: A spherical glass bottle with blue plastic cap and accents housed in a paper box that looks like sky and clouds.
Where can I buy it? My 200 ml EDT spray was found online (USA) for $15 USD.
The Bottom Line: I don’t know what it is about Eau de Givenchy, but that fragrance was true love from first sniff. However, with time and reformulation the fragrance has subtly changed and now the final and latest iteration is a far cry from the original for a fairly expensive price. After searching Fragrantica for a replacement, I came across Don Algodón and while window shopping online, I was fortunate enough to discover a reasonably priced bottle and snatched it up. When it arrived I was more than pleased: I could buy three of these for the price of one Eau de Givenchy. True, Givenchy’s first Eau offers a bit more oakmoss and honeysuckle, and feels a bit greener and aquatic overall, but Don Algodón is a surprising sniffalike. I could wax poetic about how it always reminds me of spring and lifts my spirits, but truly, this is a simple white floral that will smell quite familiar to many. Moreover, I always think I’m detecting hyacinth, one of my favorite notes, though the flower is not listed in the olfactory pyramid.
Spain is one of my favorite countries; it has an incredibly diverse landscape, millennia of history, warm and lively people, a fantastic food culture, and some truly wonderful fragrance brands (e.g. Victorio & LucchinoAdolfo DominguezLoewe,Jesus del PozoPaco Rabanne, and even Antonio Banderas). It’s funny, the last time I was in Spain I thumbed my nose at Don Algodón due to its bargain price and drugstore presence, considering it not worth my time. Silly me; it just goes to show that price doesn’t always correspond with pleasure.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

COMENTE O QUE VOCÊ ACHOU DA NOSSA MATÉRIA!